So now to choose an app for your phone to do the work. I've tried many apps. First, I'm looking for a free app, especially to test. Several do an adequate job, but the free versions only allow you to capture 2-5 cards per week. If I found the right app, I'd buy it, usually in the range of $0.99 - $4.99.
But I came across one that really caught my attention. LinkedIn has an app called CardMunch (v 3.2). Here's why it's so great:
- CardMunch captures the business card and converts it with great accuracy
- One tap allows you then transfer the info to your contact app.
- Another tap let's you share this new contact with a friend or coworker, very practical.
- Another tap initiates a connection between you and this new contact on LinkedIn.
- It's free, let's no forget that. But it makes total sense. LinkedIn has invested in this app because it has a hook to further spread their business/social networking product, LinkedIn. If your new contact is already a LinkedIn member, you get a their photo in the contact info and access to their public profile. Once you're connected in LinkedIn, you have greater access to them per their permissions.
CardMunch is currently only available on the iOS platform (iPhone/iPad2/iPod touch 4). Their blog says support for Android and Blackberry users is coming soon.