Friday, September 16, 2011

The Stoning of Soraya M. - Movie Review

I recently came across a movie that intrigued me for its title alone, "The Stoning of Soraya M." What caught my interest was that stoning is not something I know a lot about, thinking it doesn't happen so much these days.

Wow, it was a strong and impactful movie. The true story which took place in Iran in 1986 remained with me for quite a while. The acting, all from actors unknown to me, was authentic, and powerful, especially from Soraya and her aunt Zahra who is the story teller. It is very satisfying and empowering to expand awareness outside our zip code, as Americans, we're too provincial. It reinforced that there is no end to the things I need to know about or to learn. If all you love is action movies or romantic comedies, this movie is not for you, especially the stoning scene which is graphic and emotionally harsh. However, if you're frequent a reader of this blog, I'm betting you'd find this something for your movie queue.

Rating: 4 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment